Know that 100% of the proceeds donated to this adventure will be used to support military and civilian athletes and their families. Funds raised will help differently-abled athletes accomplish their physical, mental, emotional and spiritual goals, challenges and adventures. Please help us, help them. Never a handout, always a hand up. Semper Fidelis (always faithful)!
Who doesn’t love a great bicycle ride on a great set of wheels!
Well, how about riding from coast to coast as part of something so much, much larger than a leisurely ride through the park in a shiny, green bike! This Spring, 10 cyclists representing all abilities will tackle the challenge of a continuous ride from Oceanside, California to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina….in less than 11 days cycling time!
What: California to the Carolinas, “We Can Do This” Disabled Sports 24/7 Road Bicycling Adventure #W2E2016 #CttC2016
Who: 12 disabled, paralyzed, wounded, injured and able-bodied cyclists (military veterans, civilians and supporters)
Where: Wounded Warrior Battalion West (Oceanside, CA) to the Marlin, TX to USOC Paralympic Trials (Charlotte, NC) to Cycle to the Sea (N. Myrtle Beach, SC) and finish at Camp Lejuene, NC covering over 3,000 miles
When: April 10-24, 2016 (252 cycling hours)
- Heightening awareness for military veterans and athletes who are injured, wounded, and/or paralyzed – demonstrating “We Can Do This” and so can you.
- Highlighting the US Olympic Committee’s Paralympic Trials in Charlotte in June while carrying the USOC Paralympic torch across country
- Raising funds and awareness for the Semper Fi Fund, Independence Fund, and Adaptive Sports & Adventures Program
- 5 pairs of able-bodied, disabled, paralyzed, wounded and injured athletes
- Each pair will cycle for ~2hrs then rotate with another pair, cycling 24/7, stopping overnight in Marlin, TX; continuing to Charlotte to promote the USOC Paralympic Trials; merging with Carolinas HealthCare System Adaptive Sports & Adventures Program’s Cycle to the Sea from Monroe, NC to N. Myrtle Beach, SC; completing the cross-country journey at Camp Lejeune, NC
- Peak elevation: 5,433ft; lowest elevation: -177ft; total ascent 35,312ft; total descent 35,322ft
- Time to complete: 10.5 days or 252hrs covering 3,062miles (assumes 12mph average)
Additional information about this event including routes, rider biographies, and more is available at the “hamburger drop-down menu” to the top right of the Home page.
Please feel free to circulate this to anyone who you feel might be able to help.